If you’re looking to diversify your 4th of July menu with veggies, look no further: This salad is a quick and delicious way to add plant-based goodness to your celebratory spread, and several of its ingredients are pantry-friendly. Equally important, this salad is packed with nutrients, and it looks amazing 🙂
This navy, red kidney and lima bean salad features sliced zucchini, pickled beets, and an abundance of homegrown greens: Boston lettuce, Swiss chard, radish microgreens, and cilantro. As you know, we have been growing various veggies and herbs indoors for about 9 months now, and our hydroponic system has been thriving thanks to some excellent quality seeds from True Leaf Market (you can check out my comprehensive review of True Leaf Market here). Of course, store-bought lettuce, Swiss chard, microgreens and cilantro will work equally well. Since microgreens are more difficult to find, I recommend you leave those out and use more lettuce instead, if you so wish.
I usually serve salads with homemade fresh bread, thanks to the bread-making skills I have developed during the pandemic.
A store-bought crusty baguette will work without a problem, of course.
For additional 4th of July recipe suggestions, feel free to check out my posts from previous years here, here, here, here, here and here.
What’s on your 4th of July menu? Let me know in the comments, and have a delicious celebration 🙂
4th of July vegan salad
- 1 15oz can of navy beans, drained of liquid
- 1 15oz can of red kidney beans, drained of liquid
- 1 15oz can of lima beans, drained of liquid
- 1 medium size zucchini, sliced
- 2 tbsp pickled beets
- 1 large Boston lettuce, leaves washed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup Swiss chard leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 handful radish microgreens (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small Pyrex cup or bowl, make the vinaigrette by mixing extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour the vinaigrette on top, and mix until well combined. Taste and add salt and/or pepper, if necessary. Chill the salad in the fridge until serving time. Serve at room temperature as an appetizer or a main meal, with fresh bread.
Leave a Reply