This dish has plenty of elements which put me in a happy mood: responsibly caught salmon from Sitka Salmon Shares, creamy smoked gouda from my beloved cheese paradise aka Caputo Cheese Market, sweet bell peppers brimming with luscious earthiness, and, of course, gorgeous colors. For that extra wow factor, I always add an egg on top – the prettier, the better 🙂
The recipe is as easy as its ingredients are delicious. I have always felt that less is more especially when dealing with premium ingredients, whose pure flavors don’t need embellishments to shine through.
I started off by washing, halving and de seeding the bell peppers. In a separate bowl, I put pieces of Sitka Salmon Shares’ Wild Alaska Coho salmon, cubed smoked gouda, capers, chopped green onion and parsley, and salt and pepper. I filled the pepper halves with this mix, and placed them in a large baking pan covered with parchment paper.
I gave each pepper a quick spray with oil right before putting the pan in the preheated oven.
Deliciousness in the making!
I cooked the peppers for 35 minutes at 375F, until soft but still able to hold their shape. I served them as a hot light lunch, with sunny side up eggs, chopped parsley and paprika sprinkled on top for extra flavor and visual appeal.
I absolutely loved how this dish turned out!
The capers cut through the richness of the cheese beautifully- and just when you think their brininess is here to stay, the luscious egg yolk comes in to provide a final touch of velvety richness.
I just had to add another picture – can’t help it! Lol
While other veggie-based offerings might try to capture your mind with upscale ingredients and names, these stuffed peppers are simple and straightforward, and their deliciousness shines through. Once again, Sitka’s salmon confirms its reputation among fish aficionados nationwide (you can check out my extensive posts on Sitka Salmon Shares here, here and here). Join SSS now and get $25 off one of their Shares – just use code CLP at checkout! This code expires December 31, 2021.
I loved working on this dish and tasting the final product, and I hope you will enjoy the process and the food, as well. I have always believed that there is value in simple foods done well, and this dish reconfirms and further cements my foodie philosophy, giving me reassurance and comfort. Sky is the limit when you have ingredients that elevate and inspire, or so I think 🙂
Peppers stuffed with salmon and gouda
- 4 bell peppers, cut in half and deseeded
- 1/2 lb raw salmon, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup smoked gouda, cut in small cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley + extra for decoration
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Cooking spray, as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 eggs, cooked sunny side up (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Put salmon, gouda, capers, onion and parsley in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix until combined. Fill the pepper halves with the mixture. Arrange peppers neatly on a pan lined with parchment paper. Give each pepper a quick spray with oil right before putting pan in the oven.
- Cook peppers for 35 minutes or until soft but still able to hold their shape. Take out of the oven and serve hot, with sunny side up eggs, chopped parsley and paprika sprinkled on top.