What are your thoughts on Super Bowl party food? I don’t know about you, but as much as we love chicken wings and pizza, this special weekend we also tend to eat rather light dishes, such as salads and vegetarian patties (check out my previous years’ recipes here, here and here).
This vegan beetroot appetizer is a case in point 😉 With beets being so healthy and popular nowadays, I thought for this year’s Super Bowl I should bring back a recipe my mom and aunt used to make very often when I was growing up, especially during the winter months: beetroot & horseradish salad.
This salad is very easy to make, and although it requires extensive time in the oven for the beetroot, the end result is worth it. Start off by cutting the beetroot into cubes.
Just look at the vibrant color. So delicious looking already!
Massage the beetroot with a mix of olive oil, oregano and salt and pepper, and then place them in a pan in the preheated oven.
Roast the beetroot at low temperature for about 1 hour or until soft when poked with a fork, turning them once during cooking. While the beets are in the oven, put freshly grated horseradish in a mixing bowl with salt, olive oil, and white wine vinegar. Mix until the horseradish is uniformly covered with oil and vinegar.
Take the beetroot out of the oven and allow to cool down.
In a large bowl, place the beetroot and horseradish and mix until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as extra olive oil (if needed). Serve slightly chilled, in a bowl (as a salad) or on crackers or toasted slices of baguette. This time, I decided to use a bag of crackers I had left over from a Christmas gift basket – they needed to be used up, and I jumped at the opportunity since I really hate to let food expire.
This appetizer looks stunning and delivers a delicate balance of flavors between the earthy beetroot and spicy horseradish. Whether you’re a plant-based aficionado(a) or simply someone who’s interested in having a lighter take on a day that’s traditionally reserved to burgers, wings and pizza, this beetroot & horseradish salad is sure to satisfy you. The idea captures your mind, the flavors & colors capture your senses – and the rest is beautiful plant-based history 🙂
Beetroot and horseradish salad
- 3 medium beetroot, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium horseradish, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil (for roasting the beets)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for the grated horseradish)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley for decoration (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Put the beetroot in a bowl and mix with olive oil, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Place the beetroot on a roasting pan covered with parchment paper, and into the oven. Roast for about 1 hour or until soft when poked with a fork, turning once during cooking.
- While the beets are in the oven, put the horseradish in a medium size bowl with oil, vinegar, and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Take the beetroot out of the oven and allow to cool down. Place the beets and prepared horseradish in a large bowl, and mix until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as extra olive oil, if needed. Serve slightly chilled, in a bowl (as a salad) or on crackers or toasted baguette, with chopped parsley on top, if desired.